Sunday, December 1, 2013

¿¡Cuánto Cuesta!?

So... we're still going to Spain. The plan has not changed, although I have 5 days to leave New Orleans and I'm really needing to pack. Now is the time where I find myself without a job, and with nothing but time to pack my whole life into a box, and freak the fuck out. Fun, right!?

Now we take a look at what this really entails: HOLY SHIT Y'ALL, LEAVING THE COUNTRY IS EXPENSIVE!! Between visas, trips to Houston to GET my visa, doctors appointments to get the paperwork for my visa, plane tickets, storage units, I am about $1500 in the red. Oh, and you can forget another month's rent and bills, which are around another $2000. Damn, son. It's a wonder that I'm even eating. Thank goodness for good friends who can cook! Thanksgiving was two days ago, so I'm Thankful for leftovers, which are keeping me going because I can't grocery shop, because I'm leaving town in a few days.

I have learned that I've been placed in a tiny village outside Madrid. It is called La Cabrera, and the pictures are just beautiful. I see lots and lots of... mountains. Huh. Well that's new. Also, it's winter. I hear Spain has REAL winter, which is nothing like the Fisher Price winter we have here in New Orleans. In New Orleans it gets down to the 50's and we are wearing parkas and dusting off the huskies. I wake up on a day that's in the 40s and I seriously consider calling in dead to work. Real Talk. So now I have to look for peacoats and boots. Yay for boot shopping, BOOOOOOOO for snow. Because apparently: Where there are mountains, there tends to be snow. Who knew?

Here I am now: surrounded by boxes and trying to pack what I need. This shall be a journey of its own making, because I'm still trying to figure out what I need to bring -vs- what I want to bring. I have to find a way to get my things to storage, and to get my stuff (and my cat) to Atlanta. This still feels so surreal. Even with the pictures of La Cabrera, and the  newly purchased plane ticket that says: "Yup, Madrid. In two weeks. YOU'RE GOING." I feel like it's not real.

To help me with my trip, I have a Gofundme page up. This is to help me find a place to live, and to not starve in España until I get paid at the end of January. (Woo-hooo, not starving!)
If you feel so inclined, please click here or go to: http://www.gofundme.com/54txrg

Every little bit helps, and as always I appreciate your help. I also want to say a HUGE Thank you to the people at Dark Room Custom PC and Flat Screen Repair for their generosity. These awesome guys DONATED the laptop I'm using right now, to help me teach overseas.

 I can't tell you how good it is to see my entire screen again. Thank you so much guys!

On that note, I shall leave you to pack more boxes. I have a lot to do, and not a lot of time to do it. If I don't see you in a few days, I'll check in from Atlanta. MADRID IN 14 DAYS. ¡HALA MADRID!
(Also, I have no idea why I can't turn off the italics. I'll fix this as soon as I can.)

No comments:

Post a Comment